Sunday, November 21, 2010

Vogue 1066 Jacket

I know, at this time, I should be already showing you a completed Burda jacket, but that's not going to happen. Why? Well, I've completed the torso of the outer shell, cut the lining pieces and put them together, as well as 90% of the sleeves, but that's where I am stuck. As much as I love Burda magazines, that's how much I also hate their instructions. They are always very brief and sometimes use expressions that maybe only professional sewers are familiar with. 

So, this is why I can't figure out the next step of the sleeve construction and I need to wait for my sewing classes to get some help. And this really bothers me.  I am starting to dislike the whole project because of this and I am definitely going to finish it, but for the time being,  I needed something that would distract me from this frustration. So I chose this:

Vogue 1066 jacket:


I meant to sew this for quite a long time, I even had the pattern traced (I don't cut patterns, I always trace them) and I had the fabric that I thought would work with the pattern.

The pattern envelope says "Advanced", but I wouldn't say it applies on the jacket. I did not sew the trousers, so I can't say anything about those, but the jacket is quite easy to make. Even for somebody with not so much sewing experience like me. After a couple of sewing hours, the outer shell of the jacket is complete. I still need to sew the lining, probably even buy the  right lining fabric and definitely buy the right buttons, but I am quite happy with the partial result so far. 
This pattern asks for a lot of topstitching and I chose a contrasting black colour, so I had to change threads while sewing all the time, but it's the fun part of the pattern. I am not completely happy with how the topstitching turned out, but I am not unhappy either. This is my first topstitching ever, so it can only get better ;-). 

This is what I have so far:


This project has brought back the good feelings about sewing and some new energy,  that will be much needed to complete the Burda jacket.

Happy sewing to everyone :-)!

PS: Don't miss out on the SewingPatterns.com Butterick sale! They are only 2.99 USD now ;-). I couldn't resist the temptation and ordered a bunch of them :-).  I love buying sewing patterns.

1 comment:

  1. Thank-you for following my blog! Love your jacket. Looking good. We all hit snags with projects, at times - the trick is to keep on going, before you convince yourself that you can't do it. Obviously, you're doing just that. After a while you get back to the "problem", and it usually sorts itself out.

    ReplyDelete